Vision & MissionSPAN CONSULTANTS IN THE FIELD OF COMMUNICATION
Throughout the world and in all sectors of society, reforms are taking place. These reforms are initiated, shaped and implemented by people; in turn they benefit and affect other people. We see the role of communication in these processes of change as one of interface. If well applied, communication involves all parties - initiators, implementers and beneficiaries. It gives them a voice, promotes exchange of ideas and knowledge, facilitates informed decision making by all stakeholders and so contributes to an increased quality in the results of reform.
Our approach to communication aims to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of development cooperation projects and programmes. It also seeks to ensure long-term sustainability through building our clients' capacity to use communication as an effective tool in policy making and implementation.
With our roots and experience in government communication both internationally and in The Netherlands, we have developed a specific way of working, based on the following principles:
- we recognise that every case is different, and base our advice on analysis and research, always considering both the long-term and the short-term needs of different stakeholders
- we approach our audiences sensitively, listen to them and develop strategies that match their distinctive interests and concerns
- we take care to involve stakeholders in planning and implementation, emphasising public participation and, above all, transparency
- we draw on local and regional expertise whenever we can
- we see development cooperation as an interactive process in which collective problem-solving and local capacity building through the transfer of skills and know-how are key features
SPAN CONSULTANTS IN THE FIELD OF EDUCATION & HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT
In education, we see our role as facilitator of development processes led and owned by professionals - and the people concerned - from the countries themselves. Highlighting the importance of a local perspective, we aim to provide a bridge to strengthen existing local capacities with appropriate expertise & experience as well as methods and approaches acquired worldwide.
We see ourselves as different in the approach we take because:
- we believe it is essential to integrate demand-driven issues in educational decision-making and therefore look for the perceptions and opinions of all stakeholders - from the grassroots to the national level
- we believe it is important to have and use the tools needed for participatory approaches to decision-making in educational development processes
- we attach great importance to developing viable management structures, which ensure transparency, facilitate a participatory approach and stimulate a successful transfer of skills and know-how
- a participatory approach is fundamental to our way of working, from inception and design to implementation and monitoring & evaluation